Garlic, lime and cilantro create a classic flavor combination that I can’t help but love. This combination is especially great when kicked up with a touch of chili powder as it is in this flavorful marinade for grilled chicken thighs. For even more flavor, I am using a ground chipotle chili powder, that I think I bought at El Maiz here in Zürich. If you are looking for some interesting chili powders, I definitely recommend checking out the Mexican grocery stores, El Maiz and Frida Mexican Products (both near the main train station in Zürich.) You can find a much broader selection of chili powders at both of these stores than at Coop or Migros.
To make the marinade, after gathering the ingredients, I chop the garlic and cilantro, and I juice the lime.
I then mix all of the marinade ingredients (lime juice, chopped garlic, chopped cilantro, olive oil, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper) together in a non-reactive bowl large enough to hold the chicken. I then add the chicken thighs to the marinade and toss the chicken to make sure every bit of it is covered in marinade.
After the chicken has marinated for a few hours, it is time to put it on the grill. My son grilled the chicken this time and he said it took about 7 to 8 minutes per side over a very hot grill.
I love to serve this chicken with a side salad and hot corn casserole. I’ll be posting the recipe for the corn casserole soon. I really hope you give this chicken marinade a try. It is delicious.
Garlic, Lime, Cilantro Chicken Thighs
- 1 kg boneless, skinless, chicken thighs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- juice from one lime
- 4 cloves garlic
- 20 g fresh cilantro
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- Mince the garlic and cilantro.
- In a bowl or bag large enough to hold the chicken, combine the minced garlic and cilantro with the olive oil, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to fully combine.
- Trim any extra fat or gristle from the chicken thighs. Then add them to the marinade and mix to ensure that the chicken is coated with marinade.
- Allow the chicken to marinate for at least an hour and up to six hours.
- Grill the chicken over high heat for about 7 – 8 minutes per side.